About the Course
Summer BOLT foundation course (Summer BOLT) is a summer module jointly conducted by Hong Kong Baptist University and The Education University of Hong Kong and based on the BOLT foundation course developed by PolyU’s BOLT team. This summer module comprises six sessions and is offered over the summer at a very relaxed pace. During this module, participants can take part in both face-to-face and online learning sessions to explore pivotal learning tools, technologies and techniques on the move. A variety of learning activities and range of other input sources such as videos and readings will be provided in the online platform. The course offers participants a chance to explore blended learning through experiencing blended learning.
Summer BOLT is the equivalent of Module 1 of the regular BOLT foundation course.
Registration for Summer BOLT 2017 is now closed.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs)
By the end of Summer BOLT, you will be able to:
- describe a variety of blended and online learning approaches, techniques and tools;
- critically evaluate these approaches, techniques and tools; and
- apply these approaches, techniques and tools to your own teaching and learning context.
- Dr Theresa Kwong , Assistant Director of CHTL, HKBU
- Dr Archie Guerra , Department of Marketing, HKBU
- Miss Lynn Yang , Blended Learning Specialist, EdUHK
- Mr Darren Harbutt , BOLT co-project Leader & Educational Development Officer of EDC, PolyU
Approximately 2-3 hours per session over the 13-week summer period (5 Jun – 31 Aug, 2017).
|5 Jun – 6 Jun||Session 0||Course Introduction||Online Learning|
|7 Jun -18 Jun||Session 1 Deep Dive 1||Setting the Scene Cloud- Based Tools||Face-to-Face Session*|
(7 Jun, 12:30-2:30p.m. at ACC209) &
|19 Jun – 2 Jul||Session 2 Deep Dive 2||Teaching Online Discussion Forum||Online Leaning|
|3 Jul – 16 Jul||Session 3 Deep Dive 3||Learning Online Blogs & Social Media||Synchronous Session|
& Online Leaning
|17 Jul – 30 Jul||Session 4 Deep Dive 4||Collaborating and Learning Wikis||Online Learning|
|31 Jul – 13 Aug||Session 5 Deep Dive 5||21st Century Learning Assessment & Feedback Tools||Online Learning|
|14 Aug – 31 Aug||Session 6||Learning on the Move||Face-to-Face Session|
& Online Learning
|*Note: light lunch will be provided.|
Summer BOLT offers a certificate of completion for all participants who complete the required activities. We have implemented a system of achievements/badges to record your progress, some of which you assign yourself on completion of activities and some of which the instructors will assign. In order to receive the certificate, you must earn eight of the following nine completion badges (one badge can be dropped):
- Complete the Learning Innovation Plan: 1 badge (this is the main assessed task of the course and cannot be dropped)
- Complete Session 1-5 online (self-assign): 5 badges
- Attend the face-to-face sessions in Session 1 and Session 6: 2 badges
- Attend the online synchronous session in Session 3: 1 badge
Additionally, if you watch the first Deep Dive video in each series (i.e. Deep Dive 1.1, Deep Dive 2.1 and so on), there are five additional badges to earn. If you earn the nine completion badges plus the five additional badges, that makes you a BOLT Champion!